Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Algorithm's Going To Get You #3 - Pom Poko "Crazy Energy Night"

The premise of the column: we got a cheap-as-shit Spotify subscription as part of this package available to students (a designation that applies to a member of our household) so we're sifting through Spotify's Friday recommendations to see if we can find anything good--or at least worth writing about. We will do no research before writing, because too much music writing is a reaction to an artist's biography/press release instead of the music.



Slowly turning madman into savior is a fucking phrase that I can fucking get behind. Do I dig the Deerhoof vibes and the Gang of Four/Fugazi guitars? Yes I do. Do I dig the massive compression that makes me remember the good parts of Sleigh Bells? Yes I do. Do I dig that crazy percussion that sounds like someone ferociously tapping a cowbell? Kinda.

This will wake you up and get you moving. It might even make you think and feel. I don't know. It's only two and a half minutes. You should hear some of the other stuff Spotify recommended. Listen to Astral Weeks while you're reading that 1968 secret history book by Ryan H. Walsh (one of the best music-related books I've read in year), and keep getting sent tracks off Van's latest for the rest of your life, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment